A good Instagram is the center of any business, blog, or lifestyle influencers’ media plan. My largest following is mostly on Instagram and with it, I’ve been able to grow my other social platforms. I find from experience that Instagram is becoming a larger and more personal platform. Connecting with your audience is easy and can be done with not much effort.
In today’s blog post, I’d like to highlight some key ways I’ve been able to grow my following on Insta. I’m letting out my tips and tricks along with some extra secrets that I hope will help all of you!
Make A Strong Bio
- A short bio that gives an overall run down on who you are is ultimately what we’re aiming for. Things I’ve used in my bio include my location, my email address, emojis, and short or witty phrases. An Instagram box is the first thing your new followers will see when accessing your page so make sure it’s memorable and grabs some attention.
Link Your Blog/YouTube
- Tie your hard work to your page and get people coming back for more. Linking your blog or YouTube gives followers another reason to return and check out what’s new with you. You double dip on two platforms with this tip.
Have A Professional Account
- A professional account on Instagram allows users to get in contact with you if need be. Whether that’s for branding purposes or another specific reason. A “contact” button appears on your page as well as an “occupation” low lighted section below your name. This makes everything look more put together and organized! You can change this by linking your Facebook page in the settings section of Instagram.
Post At Least Once A Day
- Consistency is everything on Instagram. It keeps your followers engaged and lets you showcase your daily activities or favorite photos. I try to post at least once even twice a day to keep my followers coming back. If you can’t find the time to do this, try stock piling your photos. What do I mean by this? Have a back up amount of photos taken from previous days that are already edited and ready to go. It takes away the hassle and stress of finding something new to take a pic of every day.
Use Instagram Stories
- The new addition to Instagram has been amazingly helpful in maintaining connections with my viewers. Within a 24 hour time period I’m able to present any of the photos I’ve taken throughout the day, edit them, write on them, add locations and send messages. Think of it as Snapchat on steroids because it combines the app we already know and love with special features. Personally, I think it’s easiest to keep everything in one spot and Instagram has really impressed me by doing this.
Like, Comment, Respond
- It’s always a good idea to continue relationships with others on the app. You’re able to network through one another and bounce ideas around. I’ve made some great online friends through Instagram and have connected with so many companies just by commenting on their posts! Start some conversation and don’t be afraid to get the ball rolling. Try to get noticed!
- At times, hashtags can be double edge swords. They assist you in getting your photos noticed but can be quite annoying to look at and can sometime make an Instagrammer look desperate for likes. Tread lightly and try attaching the hashtags you think will grab the most attention to your pictures. Some of my favorites have been, “#love, #coffee, #views, #vsco, #vscocam, #blog, #motivation, and #positivevibes”. Make sure your hashtags are relevant to the things your posting and don’t go over board.
Have A Consistent Theme
- A consistent theme doesn’t always mean “perfect”. I’d recommend downloading the app VSCO CAM to help you make your selection. There, you’ll be able to choose from a variety of different well designed filters. You can find anything from dark to light and pretty much everything in between. I’ve really been loving A6 and C1.
Create Good Captions
- Short and sweet is my rule of thumb for captions. Too long can make a reader uninterested so try to cut down. If you’re having trouble, try searching a word on Pinterest with “quotes” next to it. For example, if your posted photo is a cup of coffee try to search “coffee quotes”. I do this when I’m pressed for time and can’t come up with something on my own.
Hold Contests And Giveaways
- A great way to gain new followers is by holding giveaways. If you already have a large following, try getting a brand on board to help you. If you’re just getting started, maybe try connecting with other small profiles and work together. Hold contests for smaller products, follow backs, or collaborations. A perfect time to do these is when you hit milestones on Insta such as 1k, 5k, 10k, etc. Give people a reason to follow you!